Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

Who’s your favorite co-commentator?

stamford-bridge

While soccer commentators are often in the spotlight more because they do most of the talking in a match, the role of a co-commentator cannot be understated, especially when it’s a good one. In the case of a co-commentator, sometimes less is more.

Co-commentators add their expert opinions and color to a game, often making observations that we don’t see with our own eyes. When it’s a decisive call, the co-commentator steps in as “judge and jury” to tell the viewer whether the decision was correct or not. As a result, a co-commentator’s influence on a game can be quite swaying since they can drive a narrative about a game that will go on well after the final whistle has blown.

At the same time, there are plenty of co-commentators who make you scratch your head and wonder how they got the job in the first place!

So, let’s have it. Who is your favorite soccer co-commentator, and why?

Post your opinion in the comments section below or on social media. And tell us why he or she is the one you look forward to hearing.

I look forward to reading your expert opinions!

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
21 Comments

21 Comments

1. atiku ganshino

May 10, 2015 at 3:22 am

Ian darke & David pleat are my favorites.they love 2 involve everybody in da game.

2. Donnie

May 1, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Today’s commentators, or of all time?

If the latter I’d have to say Toby Charles.

Today I think Ian Darke w/Macca would be my favorites.

3. rajesh

April 28, 2015 at 7:43 am

For me it’s Lee Dixon hands down- he’s got a dry wit that punctures Arlo White’s occasional pomposity. And the pairing of Gary Neville and Martin Tyler is excellent as well.

4. R A Anderson

April 15, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Ray Hudson

5. Burnsey

April 13, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Stewart Robson is great (criticizes when he feels it necessary). Gary Neville & Davie Provan are close. I enjoy Chris Waddle, Gerry Armstroung, Lee Dixon, Danny Mills, Trevor Francis and David Pleat. I can’t stand LeSeax……needs a million words to make a point and sounds so snobbish. Tim Howard is the worst.

6. Bryan

April 13, 2015 at 10:50 am

7. Pete

April 12, 2015 at 9:04 am

ray hudson is magisterial, he is superlative. never fails to entertain.

8. Bill

April 6, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I miss McManaman with Ian Darke. Really like Gary Neville and Graham Le Saux is growing on me. His story about homophobic abuse he received throughout his career is harrowing.

9. lou burns

April 6, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Graeme LeSaux

10. Jason

April 6, 2015 at 6:37 pm

The best commentators concentrate on the game at hand and don’t talk about off-field issues as it detracts from the action at hand. Danny Higgenbotham and Trevor Francis are good at keeping you involved with the game.

11. davesee

April 6, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Macca for sure. I’ve followed the English game since early 90’s so understood all of his references. Miss he and Ian Darke tremendously.

• jtm371

April 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Great pair I do miss them together.

12. Rob

April 6, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Unfortunately I’ve experienced that the majority of them speak more than the actual commentators. The best ones know to let the action do the talking, again the majority don’t do that they feel like there’s a void they need to fill. A bad co commentator can spoil the game through exessive talking. Saying that, I think Graham La Saux and Lee Dixon are very good. Gary Neville is great (I’m a Liverpool fan too too) but Phil Neville is uwful.

• Rob

April 6, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Awful! so is my spelling

13. Toby

April 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

For me the two best colour commentators were Andy Gray and Ron Atkinson. Not only were they informative but they were passionate, fun and entertaining. They were the Jerry Lawler of football commentators.

They make this generation of commentators seem boring, even Gary Neville. Ron Atkinson coined phrases like ‘Hollywood pass’ e.g. a spectacular pass that you only see in a Hollywood sports film. A ‘Hospital pass’ e.g. a bad pass that is closer to the opposing player than a team mate and likely to result in an injury from a strong tackle. Another phrase he said was the ‘Hollywood save’, A save that is for the cameras because it is more spectacular than difficult.

Best line Ron Atkinson said was when a winger did a trick and sent the defender in the wrong direction and Atkinson said the player would need to buy a ticket to get back into the stadium after that.

It was shame Ron Atkinson was caught saying the N-word as this effectively ended his media career overnight, which is right.

14. Alex Riley

April 6, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Alan Smith is very good. He’s a great example of someone who doesn’t talk too much, but when he does it’s very insightful

15. Iancransonsknees

April 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Danny Higginbotham is excellent.

16. Brian

April 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Trevor Francis has always impressed me with his knowledge of the game. Lee Dixon has grown on me.

17. Jonathan Dickerson

April 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Lee Dixon. He’s hilarious when he’s really on it and he seems to be at his best when paired up with someone like Arlo White.

18. Cody

April 6, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Its quickly becoming Jim Beglin.

Used to be Gary Neville, but the plaudits have gone to his head and so he speaks in such a “as a matter of fact” way now that I can hardly stand him.

19. Flyvanescence

April 6, 2015 at 12:41 pm

My bias should never allow me to admit it but Gary Neville. He spots things the average spectator doesnt come close to noticing, and really makes you understand what is happening in a way no one else does.

From a completely different perspective i love Ray Hudson. Not a top notch analyst in the least, but he is bloody entertaining. And thats what sports is supposed to be, right–entertainment?

I also loved Steve McManaman when he and Ian Darke were paired up; havent heard him otherwise however.