Thomas Vermaelen could make his Barcelona debut after the international break according to the doctor who operated on the defender.
The Belgian took part in his first training session with the club on Wednesday after being sidelined for nearly four months following surgery on his damaged hamstring.
Vermaelen’s match fitness is nowhere near what it needs to be, but his surgeon feels the defender could return to the Barcelona squad within one or two weeks.
After the operation, it was thought Vermaelen would be out of action for four to five months. So a return during the doctor’s timetable is not out of the realm of possibility.
The 29-year-old defender was signed from Arsenal for a reported £15 million last summer, but was almost immediately sidelined with a serious hamstring injury. The club eventually decided to have Vermaelen go under the knife in December in a bid to finally put an end to his ordeal.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family