Thomas Vermaelen could make his Barcelona debut after the international break according to the doctor who operated on the defender.
The Belgian took part in his first training session with the club on Wednesday after being sidelined for nearly four months following surgery on his damaged hamstring.
Vermaelen’s match fitness is nowhere near what it needs to be, but his surgeon feels the defender could return to the Barcelona squad within one or two weeks.
After the operation, it was thought Vermaelen would be out of action for four to five months. So a return during the doctor’s timetable is not out of the realm of possibility.
The 29-year-old defender was signed from Arsenal for a reported £15 million last summer, but was almost immediately sidelined with a serious hamstring injury. The club eventually decided to have Vermaelen go under the knife in December in a bid to finally put an end to his ordeal.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ