Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke believes playing for manager Diego Simeone is a way of life.
The product of Atletico’s youth system has been with the club since he was eight years old. Now, at 23, he is a Spain international and is considered one of the best midfielders in Europe.
Koke has been an integral part to Atletico Madrid’s success over the past three-and-a-half seasons helping the team win a Europa League title, UEFA Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup, Copa del Rey and La Liga title – while also finishing as Champions League runners-up last season.
In an interview with GQ Magazine, the midfielder credited his and the team’s success to Simeone’s influence over the players.
“‘Cholismo’ is a way of life at this club, a philosophy of living certain moments in your life,” Koke told GQ Magazine – who named him ‘Man of the Week’.
“Simeone and I need each other. He needs me on the pitch and off it he is my coach. I’m very happy he is with us and is staying for many more years.”
Earlier this week, Simeone signed a contract extension with Atletico Madrid that will see the Argentine remain at the club until June 2020.
Atletico are currently fourth place in La Liga and have advance to the quarter-finals of the Champions League where they will face their city rivals, Real Madrid. However, even though they are still alive in the race for La Liga and the Champions League, Koke does not see his team as the favorites in either competition.
“Real Madrid and Barcelona are two very big teams. In the league our aim at the moment is to finish third, although we still have to defend our title,” Koke added. “We know it’s not easy but nothing in life is impossible, as we showed last season.
“In the Champions League we struggled to reach the quarter-finals but we’re happy with the work we’ve done so far and are looking forward to the ‘European derby’ with Real Madrid.”
The product of Atletico’s youth system was then asked his feelings about playing alongside Fernando Torres.
“For me, it’s a source of pride to play with him. He is a role model in the dressing room and helps the rest of us to continue improving,” Koke responded.
Koke was then asked if he could be the ‘new Torres’, since both players came through the club’s youth academy.
“Fernando Torres? There’s only one,” the midfielder concluded.
Programming note: The Euro 2016 qualifier between Spain and Ukraine will be shown LIVE today at 3:30pm on ESPN2 and ESPN3.com.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season
- Greatest soccer film ever made? Victory deserves a consideration
- Boehly’s Chelsea takeover puts US tycoon in spotlight
- Stade de France gets new pitch for Champions League final
- What next for Chelsea after sale is approved?
- Neymar wants to stay at PSG despite rumours over his future
- Chelsea sale gets green light from UK government