World Soccer Talk featured columnist Simon Evans will be hosting a Reddit AMA this Thursday (3/26) at 6:00pm EST to talk all things Major League Soccer, U.S. National Team, and what it’s like to write for Reuters and The Guardian.
This AMA comes at a time when several narratives are running through these topics. Want to talk about the MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement, new clubs, or everything happening in Miami? What about the U.S. friendlies ahead of the Gold Cup?
Simon will be discussing and answering questions on all of these and more.
The link to access the Reddit AMA is: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/30f7ci/i_am_simon_evans_a_british_soccer_reporter_based/
Simon Evans has been a sports writer for 21 years and has covered every World Cup since 1998 as well as a host of other major sporting events including three Olympics. He was born in Burnley, Lancashire in 1970 and raised in the nearby former cotton mill town of Nelson. At the age of seven, he had his first season ticket for Burnley Football Club.
After graduating in Political Science from the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, he moved to Eastern Europe where he was a freelance reporter based in Budapest from 1993 to 1999 writing for a wide-range of publications including Time magazine and the Christian Science Monitor as well as sports magazines in the UK and turning out in midfield in the Hungarian fourth division.
While living in Budapest, Simon also co-wrote the first travel guide for soccer fans in Europe — the Rough Guide to European Football, which received critical acclaim and reached the top of the sport books chart in the UK. Maxim magazine called it “one of the best things to have come out of the explosion in football literature”. The book introduced fans to the history of the sport in over 50 European cities as well as giving practical information on how to enjoy a football influenced visit.
After covering Iran and Croatia, amongst others, at the 1998 World Cup for Reuters, he moved to Milan, Italy where he became sports correspondent for the agency. For eight years he covered Serie A, Champions League, the Italian national team – and drug cheating and match-fixing scandals. He reported on the World Cup in 2002 in South Korea and Japan and then Italy’s triumph in Berlin four years later. He also wrote for The Observer, Britain’s oldest Sunday newspaper, and was a regular guest on BBC Radio.
In January 2007, Simon was appointed Reuters’ first sports correspondent in Miami and has covered a range of sports including the NFL, PGA golf, ATP and WTA Tennis and cricket in the Caribbean. He has also reported on Major League Soccer news and followed the fortunes of the U.S national soccer team. He was with the U.S team in South Africa in 2010 and in Brazil in 2014.
After a lengthy career with Reuters, Simon joined CONCACAF as senior manager of public affairs before launching his freelance career. He now writes a weekly column for WorldSoccerTalk.com as well as reporting for CBC radio in Canada, Agence France Press, Fusion TV and of course Reuters.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family