According to Sports Illustrated, Cristiano Ronaldo is contemplating a move to Major League Soccer when his current contract with Real Madrid expires in June 2018.
The 30-year-old forward would prefer to move to one of the bigger cities in the US, with Los Angeles, Miami or New York being considered as his future destinations.
The Real Madrid star man has once again been linked with moves away from the Spanish club following a recent downturn in production and reported dust-ups with teammate and fellow front man, Gareth Bale.
In recent days, numerous reports have linked Ronaldo to a return to England, with both Manchester clubs apparently willing to sign the three-time Ballon d’Or winner.
In January, Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes, said after the player’s contract with Real Madrid ends “perhaps he will go to the US. Only God knows what will happen.”
While competing in last summer’s International Champions Cup, the Real Madrid forward said he hoped to one day play in the United States.
Should Ronaldo choose to make the switch to the MLS, he would join David Beckham, Thierry Henry, David Villa and Kaka on the list of former European stars who have moved across the ocean to continue their trade in the US – with Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard also set to make MLS debuts.
Los Angeles would be the likeliest destination for the Real Madrid star. The California city will have two teams by 2018, the LA Galaxy – whom Gerrard will play for in the summer – and another team in 2017, whose backers include former LA Lakers star Magic Johnson and Vincent Tan.
David Beckham has the rights for a franchise in Miami, which will enter the league in 2017, but that club is dealing with massive stadium delays which could effect any future decisions.
New York currently have two teams – New York Red Bulls and New York City FC, the latter who are jointly owned by Manchester City and the new York Yankees.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family