Atletico Madrid are prepared to make manager Diego Simeone the highest paid member of its squad, according to the Spanish newspaper Marca.
Simeone is the hottest managerial property in world soccer, with the Argentine being heavily-linked with Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool in recent months.
In just over three years at the helm, the 44-year-old manager has lead Atletico Madrid to a Europa League title, the UEFA Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup, Copa del Rey and a La Liga title – while also finishing as Champions League runners-up last season.
Atletico Madrid would like Simeone to remain at the club in order to continue building his footballing dynasty – similar to the one achieved by Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.
In late February, both Simeone and the club confirmed negotiations were underway to extend the Argentine boss’ current deal in the Spanish capital past its current expiration date of June 2017.
Today, Marca reports Atletico Madrid have offered the manager a contract which will make him the highest paid member of the squad, and the sixth-best annual salary for a coach in Europe.
Simeone stands to make £4.5 million per season, which will be more than Koke (the highest paid player in the squad) and new signings: Mario Mandzukic, Antoine Griezmann and Fernando Torres.
In the rest of Europe only five other manager will earn more than Simeone: Pep Guardiola (£8.8m), Jose Mourinho (£7.4m), Arsene Wenger (£6m), Carlo Ancelotti (£5.5m) and Manuel Pellegrini (£4.8m).
Some may feel Simeone is worth more and could be swayed by a big money offer from another club. But the Argentine has continually professed he would remain at Atletico Madrid provided the club continues to grow both on and off the pitch.
In January, the club announced it had reached an agreement with Chinese businessman Wang Jialin which allowed his company (Dalian Wanda Group) to purchase a 20% stake in Atletico Madrid. The deal provides the Spanish club with the ideal platform to expand it brand globally through the Chinese company’s commercial properties across Europe, Asia and the United States.
And yesterday, Atletico confirmed news from earlier this week stating the team would take part in a brief three-match summer tour of China. The dates of the friendlies will be July 28, August 1 and 4 – with one of the games set to take place in the largest city in China, Shanghai.
Programming note: Atletico Madrid vs. Valencia will be shown LIVE on Sunday starting at 2:55pm EST in beinSPORTS en español.
The game will be shown live on beIN SPORTS for viewers in the US. If you don’t have beIN SPORTS, click on any of these streaming services (all include free trials) to watch the game (US only). Don’t know which one to choose? Read our comparison guide.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas