Atletico Madrid are prepared to make manager Diego Simeone the highest paid member of its squad, according to the Spanish newspaper Marca.
Simeone is the hottest managerial property in world soccer, with the Argentine being heavily-linked with Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool in recent months.
In just over three years at the helm, the 44-year-old manager has lead Atletico Madrid to a Europa League title, the UEFA Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup, Copa del Rey and a La Liga title – while also finishing as Champions League runners-up last season.
Atletico Madrid would like Simeone to remain at the club in order to continue building his footballing dynasty – similar to the one achieved by Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.
In late February, both Simeone and the club confirmed negotiations were underway to extend the Argentine boss’ current deal in the Spanish capital past its current expiration date of June 2017.
Today, Marca reports Atletico Madrid have offered the manager a contract which will make him the highest paid member of the squad, and the sixth-best annual salary for a coach in Europe.
Simeone stands to make £4.5 million per season, which will be more than Koke (the highest paid player in the squad) and new signings: Mario Mandzukic, Antoine Griezmann and Fernando Torres.
In the rest of Europe only five other manager will earn more than Simeone: Pep Guardiola (£8.8m), Jose Mourinho (£7.4m), Arsene Wenger (£6m), Carlo Ancelotti (£5.5m) and Manuel Pellegrini (£4.8m).
Some may feel Simeone is worth more and could be swayed by a big money offer from another club. But the Argentine has continually professed he would remain at Atletico Madrid provided the club continues to grow both on and off the pitch.
In January, the club announced it had reached an agreement with Chinese businessman Wang Jialin which allowed his company (Dalian Wanda Group) to purchase a 20% stake in Atletico Madrid. The deal provides the Spanish club with the ideal platform to expand it brand globally through the Chinese company’s commercial properties across Europe, Asia and the United States.
And yesterday, Atletico confirmed news from earlier this week stating the team would take part in a brief three-match summer tour of China. The dates of the friendlies will be July 28, August 1 and 4 – with one of the games set to take place in the largest city in China, Shanghai.
Programming note: Atletico Madrid vs. Valencia will be shown LIVE on Sunday starting at 2:55pm EST in beinSPORTS en español.
The game will be shown live on beIN SPORTS for viewers in the US. If you don’t have beIN SPORTS, click on any of these streaming services (all include free trials) to watch the game (US only). Don’t know which one to choose? Read our comparison guide.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family