Sunderland midfielder Adam Johnson has been released on bail after he was arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a girl under 16.
The England international was questioned by police on Monday following the allegation involving a girl who is believed to be 15 years old.
He has been suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the police investigation.
Durham Constabulary said a 27-year-old man arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a girl under 16 years had been released on bail "pending ongoing investigations".
A statement from Sunderland said: "Sunderland AFC has confirmed that Adam Johnson has been suspended from the club, pending the outcome of a police investigation. No further comment will be made at the present time."
Johnson, who was questioned at Peterlee police station in County Durham, had been due to travel with the Sunderland squad to east Yorkshire on Monday ahead of Tuesday night's Barclays Premier League fixture at Hull.
Sources had earlier confirmed that the former Middlesbrough and Manchester City star had been arrested and remained in custody helping Durham Police with their inquires.
Easington-born Johnson began his career at Boro, where he emerged from the club's academy to win a B£7million switch to Manchester City in February 2010.
However, after a difficult final few months in the blue half of Manchester, Sunderland persuaded him to head back to the north-east as they clinched a £10million deal in August 2012.
Johnson, who has 12 senior England caps – the last of them in a friendly victory over Italy in August 2012 – has struggled to reproduce his best form on a sustained basis on Wearside.
He has endeared himself to Black Cats fans with goals in each of the club's three derby victories at Newcastle in as many seasons, though, including a late winner at St James' Park on December 21 last year.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man City title miracle all part of Pep’s plan
- Hertha Berlin keep Bundesliga status with play-off win at Hamburg
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video
- Mbappe says he will not overstep role as a player under PSG deal
- Dortmund name Terzic as new head coach, sign Ozcan from Cologne