Diego Simeone has heaped praise on Fernando Torres by saying the striker’s presence has improved the performances of forwards Antoine Griezmann and Mario Mandzukic.
While Simeone’s attempt at starting all three forwards against Celta Vigo backfired a few weeks ago, the Argentine boss believes his team has benefited from the arrival of the 30-year-old striker.
“The arrival of Torres has benefited Griezmann and Mandzukic,” Simeone said during his pre-match press conference today. “From December to now they have grown a lot.”
“Fernando has always shown what he is capable of, and we hope that the characteristics he has [Griezmann and Mandzukic] can exploit…his speed, authority and eye for goal.”
Atletico Madrid came under criticism after a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League during the mid-week. Diego Godin and Tiago will both miss the return leg at the Vicente Calderon due to yellow card accumulations and a red card, respectively.
But Simeone has insisted he pays no attention to outside opinions of his team, or his management style.
“I don’t watch or listen to the sports programs,” the Argentine admitted. “I try to shut myself off whether we win or lose.”
“There are always extreme opinions. It’s normal that after a defeat or a bad game we get torn apart. We have earned the position that every loss or performance is strongly criticized.”
Instead of harping on recent failures, Simeone has kept his team focused on the task at hand, which is beating top four challengers Sevilla on Sunday.
“We need to get back to playing the way that we feel comfortable doing,” Simeone added. “Competing in the midfield, pressuring in the opposition half and robbing the ball to break quickly.”
“We’re playing a side that is in good form and has been stable for a couple of years now. Without doubt this is a very important match in terms of where the league is.”
Fans will be hoping to have influential midfielder Koke back in the match day squad against Sevilla. The Spain international has been sidelined since the Madrid derby after damaging his hamstring early in the contest.
After returning to training this week, Simeone expects Koke to be in the squad on Sunday and hinted the midfielder could be included in his starting eleven.
“We need Koke, he’s a different sort of player,” the manager concluded. “He reads the game very well and we’re evaluating whether he’ll play from the start, which is probable.”
Programming note: Sevilla vs. Atletico Madrid will be shown LIVE on Sunday starting at 12:55pm EST on beINSPORTS en español (to be joined LIVE at 1:30pm EST on beINSPORT) and DishWorld.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family