Chelsea and Tottenham clash for the third time this season in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley on Sunday at 11am ET, live on beIN SPORTS and DishWorld in the United States.
Both sides have won one game apiece with the Blues pummeling their rivals 3-0 at Stamford Bridge before they were blown away 5-3 at White Hart Lane on New Year’s Day.
Chelsea manager José Mourinho felt his side were unfairly treated in the defeat by Phil Dowd who failed to award a penalty to Chelsea a handball decision when they were leading 1-0 and eventually went on to lose the game.
The 51-year-old’s mood appears to have gotten even worse in the past week after Chelsea were denied two clear penalties against Burnley and Nemanja Matic got banned for two games for reacting to a potentially career-ending tackle by Ashley Barnes (Barnes didn’t even get a yellow card).
This Sunday however, Mourinho is looking to win his third League Cup title after winning two in his first spell as Chelsea boss. Tottenham’s Mauricio Pochettino, on the other hand, is gunning for a first-ever trophy in his managerial career.
Spurs have not had the best preparation coming into this final after playing on Thursday night in the Europa League and fatigue may play a major role here. Star striker Harry Kane was rested for that game however so he, at least, should be in a perfect condition ahead of this match.
Programming note: If you live in the United States, the League Cup Final between Spurs and Chelsea is being televised exclusively on beIN SPORTS as well as being streamed live on DishWorld. If you don’t have a TV subscription to beIN SPORTS, you can watch Tottenham against Chelsea live on DishWorld for just $10 per month. The service streams the beIN broadcast in HD to your computer, tablet or smartphone. And set-up just takes minutes. Read our review of DishWorld. And sign up for DishWorld via their website.
For Chelsea, Nemanja Matic is serving the first game of his two-match suspension while John Obi Mikel is still injured according to Mourinho. Striker Diego Costa is fully fit and will lead the line but expect Didier Drogba (aka “King of Wembley”) to come off the bench at some point as the Ivorian has an outstanding record of scoring in cup finals.
Pochettino has a fully fit squad to choose from and will likely play No. 1 Hugo Lloris over Michael Vorm who, prior to this match, had played every single minute of Tottenham’s Capital One Cup run. Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen will be key for the Lilywhites if they are to get their hands on the trophy for the fifth time.
– Both sides have won four Capital One Cup titles apiece.
– Didier Drogba has scored eight goals in eight cup games at Wembley
– Chelsea have won eight of their 12 games at the new Wembley, more than any other side.
– Tottenham are winless in four games across all competitions.
– Spurs have conceded just three goals in this year’s competition, scoring 12.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more