Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers did not look for excuses after his side lost to Besiktas on penalties on their return to the Ataturk Stadium.
The Istanbul stadium was the venue for their famous 2005 Champions League victory, also on penalties, but there was no repeat this time as Dejan Lovren missed the decisive last kick as the hosts won the shoot-out 5-4 after Tolgay Arslan had leveled the aggregate score in normal time.
"We are disappointed of course to go out in the manner we did," said Rodgers.
"I thought we created opportunities in the first half and over the course of the game we defended very well. We just got too deep and they scored.
"I am proud of the players, the young players have had a great experience in a fantastic atmosphere.
"We were missing a lot of our creativity this evening (Liverpool had eight senior players missing) but there is no excuse.
"We played a lot of young players, we played with two strikers, so it was an attacking line-up and then once Besiktas get the goal we didn't create so much.
"It was a tight game but we just failed to take the opportunities we had.
"When you are away from home the objective is to keep a clean sheet.
"Our objective this season was to win a cup. It is not to be in this competition but we have an excellent opportunity in another competition (the FA Cup)."
Rodgers had sympathy for Lovren, who has not enjoyed the best start to his career at Anfield after joining for £20million from Southampton in the summer.
"Dejan was happy to take a penalty – you see the five penalties takers were all confident," he added.
"The four before had experience before in a penalty competition this season – and they were confident.
"We are disappointed for him because he had played really well in the game but someone has to miss, and unfortunately it was us."
Besiktas coach Slaven Bilic was in no doubt about the result. "We completely deserved to win," he said.
"We created good situations. Tonight in the second half it was all us – they were fading and we were dominating.
"I told my players we would have to be at our best to beat Liverpool on penalties – and we had seven players wanting to take them."
Watch the match highlights here:
Mobile app users, watch the video highlights.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family