Diego Simeone has admitted that his decision to start the forward combination of Antoine Griezmann, Mario Mandzukic and Fernando Torres against Celta Vigo was a mistake.
The Atletico Madrid manager was short on attacking threats for the La Liga contest due to an injury to midfielder Koke, and because of the suspensions of Arda Turan and Raul Garcia.
In an effort to combat his lack of creativity up front, the Argentine boss elected to start the attacking trio of Griezmann, Mandzukic and Torres. But Simeone decided to substitute Torres at halftime and change his formation during Atletico’s eventual 2-0 loss to Celta.
“My poor decision lost us 45 minutes,” Simeone admitted.
“It obviously wasn’t Fernando’s [Torres] fault, even though he was the one who came off. The problem was that we couldn’t position our players in a way that balanced the team.”
Atletico lacked any scoring threat and could barely muster possession against Celta Vigo on Sunday, with the home side accumulating 75% possession in the first half.
Simeone’s halftime tactical changes made a slight difference during the opening minutes of the second half. But his efforts were undone as Celta were awarded a penalty in the 59th minute. Nolito would step up to the spot and put the home team in front, and just twelve minutes later Fabian Orellana would double their lead.
The chances of Atletico Madrid retaining their La Liga title have taken a major hit with the loss at Balaidos, as Simeone’s side are now seven points behind league-leading Real Madrid; with no matches left to play between the two city-rivals.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family