New boss Tim Sherwood wants Aston Villa to lose the fear factor and called taking the job a "no-brainer".
The 46-year-old was unveiled at Villa Park on Monday after signing a deal until 2018 to replace the sacked Paul Lambert.
Sherwood watched Villa beat Leicester 2-1 in the FA Cup on Sunday and went into the dressing room at half-time to deliver a team-talk with the score 0-0.
And, with Villa in the bottom three of the Barclays Premier League, Sherwood wants his side to play with freedom.
"To play with less fear," he said when asked what he said to the team at the break. "I thought it was a bit tentative. We had to get (Christian) Benteke more in the game. There's a little bit of apprehension around the place.
"They need to play with a bit more confidence then everything will be fine.
"It's a fantastic opportunity and a huge football club. When I got the call asking if I would be interested, it was a no-brainer. Yes. I'll take the job and then we'll negotiate later, see if they like what I'm about."
Sherwood, who will take charge for Saturday's visit of Stoke, is also looking to revitalize Benteke with the striker having scored just three goals this season.
"He probably needs a goal for his confidence," he said. "If he scores goals that will breed confidence and more will follow.
"It's not a one-man team. He needs to recapture the form that we all know because all the best clubs in the world were after him. He will need to be helped out by the rest of the squad. They need to step up to the plate."
The ex-Tottenham boss is yet to meet chairman Randy Lerner but did speak to the owner on the phone and insisted he is not looking beyond this season as Villa battle the drop.
"I spoke to him (Lerner) briefly but I spoke to (chief executive) Tom Fox at length about the vision of the club. I liked what I heard," he said.
"It's different this season to the long run because we're in a difficult situation right now. I need to get the best out of this group then we can look at it again."
Villa won just twice in their last 21 league games under Lambert, who was sacked on Wednesday following a 2-0 defeat to Hull.
After his final game Lambert insisted Villa had "13 cup finals" left and Sherwood agreed as they battle the drop.
"Everyone in football is surprised but they're here for a reason," he said.
"I need to get everyone on the training pitch and then take them at face value.
"I see it as a giant football club, one that is a great honor.
"Paul's right, it will be 13 cup finals. It's going to be very important that we win games."
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family