This morning, Thai businessman Bee Taechaunbol of Country Group Development and rights owner of Global Legends Series (GLS) Bangkok confirmed that he had made an offer of one billion euros ($1.1 billion or £741 million) to buy a majority holding in Italian giants AC Milan.
Bee confirmed his move in Bangkok this morning saying he wanted to buy more than a 50% stake in the Serie A side, but not whole ownership of club.
Shortly after that news became public, AC Milan owner and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi said – through his company – that he was not interested in selling a majority stake in the club.
Milan have not won a Serie A title since 2011, have gone through four different coach last five seasons and failed to achieve European qualification last year. They are currently in eleventh place in Italy following a disappointing 1-1 draw with Empoli on Sunday – a match which the Rossoneri were reduced to nine men and were jeered off the pitch by fans at the San Siro.
Despite their recent on-field shortcomings, Milan were ranked the 12th richest club in world soccer by Deloitte last month with revenue of £208.8m for the 2013-14.
Also in December, the club announced that its sponsorship deal with the Dubai-based Emirates Airlines had been extended for another five years. Speculation is the deal could be worth as much as 100 million euros (£80 million).
While Berlusconi has rejected the idea of selling a majority stake in Milan, it is understood that the club are willing to negotiate a deal which would allow for a percentage of shares to be sold to outside investors.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video
- Mbappe says he will not overstep role as a player under PSG deal
- Dortmund name Terzic as new head coach, sign Ozcan from Cologne
- Man City’s Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sex offences
- New Man Utd boss Ten Hag aims to smash Liverpool-City duopoly