Chelsea striker Diego Costa believes Jose Mourinho and Diego Simeone “have plenty of things in common” when it comes to management. The former Atletico Madrid forward gave an interview to Sport Magazine where he discussed the similarities and differences between the two tacticians, while explaining his ambitions since arriving in England.
“Jose Mourinho and Diego Simeone have plenty of things in common, such as passion for the game or the levels of commitment they demand from players,” Costa told Sport Magazine. “They ask the player to give everything he has inside.”
“However, when it comes to tactics, Mourinho and Simeone have a different view of the game.”
After starting last season’s Champions League final under Simeone, Costa was substituted after only nine minutes due to a recurring hamstring problem. When asked about his feelings at the time, the striker responded: “I think that it was harder for Simeone. [Because] He is aiming to trigger a change in Spanish football.”
“It was a shame not to win the title after the great job we all did throughout the entire season. Personally, I felt well and fit the day before the Champions League final. It was a shame to lose the final the way we did. The goal we conceded in the last minute tore apart our great work.”
Although Costa tasted success while suiting up for Atletico Madrid – winning a UEFA Super Cup, Copa del Rey, Spanish Super Cup and La Liga title under Simeone’s leadership – the Spain international pronounced that he wants to win a major trophy in his first season alongside Jose Mourinho.
“I am going to be honest: I want to be a champion with Chelsea, either a Premier League champions or a Champions League winner,” Costa said. “I presume that winning the Champions League must be an amazing experience. I reached the final of this beautiful tournament once, but I couldn’t win it.”
“We know that our manager is a multiple Champions League winner with loads of experience, and that will help. I also hope we are a bit lucky. There are great teams yet to be faced.”
Chelsea restart their Champions League campaign next week when they travel to France to take on Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of the Round of 16.
Programming note: Paris Saint-Germain vs. Chelsea will be shown LIVE on Tuesday, February 17th at 2:45pm EST on FOX Sports 1 and FoxSoccer2Go.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family