While it’s not scientific nor is it an apples to apples comparison, the average number of viewers who watched the Chelsea-Manchester City game last weekend on NBC was 316% greater than the number of people who watched the same two teams play in 2010.
Last Saturday, 1.34 million people watched Chelsea-Manchester City on NBC, while 324,000 watched the two teams in 2010 when the game was shown live on ESPN2.
By any measure, the 316% increase in audience size for that one game on US television (albeit on the over-the-air NBC compared to cable/satellite centric ESPN2) is staggering.
Not only was the 1.34 million number the third most-watched Premier League game in US TV history, but the Premier League also prospered from several promos and segments during the Super Bowl game on Sunday. We’re hearing that the exposure was worth approximately $8-10 million in free “advertising” for the Premier League coverage.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family