West Brom have sealed an 11th-hour swoop for Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.
Fletcher was set to join West Ham last Friday, but talks broke down and West Brom stepped in to take the 31-year-old off United’s hands.
Fletcher reported to United’s team hotel in Manchester on deadline day, where the squad are staying ahead of their FA Cup replay against Cambridge, but he quickly left after the Baggies came calling.
The 31-year-old drove to the Midlands on Monday evening for a medical, which he is understood to have passed.
Although the 11pm deadline has passed, Press Association Sport understands West Brom were confident all the relevant paperwork has been filed in time.
Fletcher has played 342 times for United, but his experience has not been able to earn him a place in Louis van Gaal’s starting XI this term.
United told their vice-captain earlier this month that he could leave on a free transfer.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season