Aston Villa were pulverized 5-0 at the Emirates stadium on Sunday to extend their scoreless run to six league games – a new club record – since that 1-1 draw at home to Manchester United in December.
Goals from Olivier Giroud, Mesut Ozil, Theo Walcott and Santi Carzola made sure of the win before Hector Bellerin’s stoppage time goal completed Villa’s humiliation.
The result means Villa are just three points above the relegation places and have registered just 11 goals in 23 matches – the worst tally for any Premier League side this season.
Today, Paul Lambert’s men looked bereft of any ideas in attack and were absolutely shambolic defensively, allowing the Gunners enough time and space to wreck havoc every now and then.
This is clearly not the makings of a team who can compete for European places anytime soon as Lambert predicted more than two years ago.
After a promising first season in charge where he performed admirably with a largely untested group of youngsters, it’s all gone downhill for Lambert and his Villa side.
They only managed to escape relegation last season and their bright start this season seems like a century ago. That’s how bad Lambert has made Villa become.
The 45-year-old has to be one of the most tactically inept managers in the Premier League by persisting with a defensive high line when it’s clearly not working.
On top of that, he seems to have lost the dressing room. The players look disorganized, disinterested and directionless, while the fans have become dissatisfied and disgruntled.
In short, Villa have become horrible to watch and do not offer anything as a footballing outfit at the moment and it is really a shame for all of their history.
This is clearly not working and Lambert has been given enough time – this is his third season at the club – to turn things around but things aren’t looking really good for them and Villa really need to cut their losses and sack Lambert.
As Crystal Palace and West Brom have shown this season, bringing in more experienced hands can turn the fortunes of a side around and owner Randy Lerner needs to follow suit and make that bold decision with haste.
Surely, there must be other managers available who can do a better job with the current crop of players.
Sometimes, it just takes a fresh perspective, a new face, a change in tactics to reinvigorate a drowning club.
What’s certain is that Villa can’t do much worse than Lambert.
So what are you waiting for Lerner?
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family