The National Women’s Soccer League announced the hiring of Jeff Plush as the league’s new commissioner Tuesday afternoon. The hiring comes three month after the league’s inaugural commissioner Cheryl Baily, announced she would step down once her replacement was found.
Plush brings considerable experience from the men’s side of the game having held several administrative duties across the soccer landscape. Most notably as the Managing Director of the MLS team Colorado Rapids from 2006-2011, where he helped the team to their first MLS title in 2010.
While in Colorado, Plush helped to bring the franchise a nationally acclaimed youth academy, one of the largest net naming rights deals in MLS history with Dick’s Sporting Goods, and moved the team into their current soccer specific stadium.
Plush has also served on Board of Governors for the MLS and Soccer United Marketing, and for four years served on the Board of Directors as a non-executive director for the EPL based Arsenal.
More currently he founded the Helium Sports Group a sports consult agency based in Denver. All in all he has over 20 years of operating experience in the sports industry.
“I am thrilled and quite frankly humbled to have this opportunity to be the Commissioner of the National Women’s Soccer League,” said Plush in a statement. “I am truly excited to build on the great work that has already been accomplished in the last two years. I am extremely passionate about this sport and very excited to be a part of the women’s game, especially with the exemplary young women that play in this league who continually demonstrate a commitment to their fans and communities. With the continued dedication of our owners, players, coaches and staffs along with the support of the Canadian, Mexican and U.S. Federations, we will continue to grow this amazing product into a sustainable and vibrant league.”
Plush will be entering the league as it makes it turn into a pivotal third season. With the Women’s World Cup in the middle of the NWSL season, Plush will need to find a way to help the league’s nine team balance rosters and schedules.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family