Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard will miss the next five to six weeks with a calf injury, manager Roberto Martinez has said.
The American missed Sunday's loss at Newcastle with the injury suffered against Stoke on Boxing Day, and is now set to miss out until well into 2015.
"Tim Howard will be out between five and six weeks with a calf injury," Martinez said at his press conference ahead of the New Year's Day game against Hull.
Joel Robles, who was with Martinez at Wigan, is deputizing and, while the Toffees boss is happy with him, he may look to bring in another stopper.
"I thought Joel was very calm against Stoke and did well against Newcastle. But we will assess whether we need cover," the Spaniard added.
Martinez said Howard's injury was unusual and admitted that it was a big blow to lose a player of his experience.
"He's picked up a calf injury in his left calf and that's something that as a goalkeeper is really unusual. It happened just kicking the ball against Stoke.
"Tim is going to be a huge miss, not just on the pitch but being around the place and having the calmness that he gives to the younger players and the know how that he brings to the dressing room.
"Tim is a big game player. When he plays for the national team in tournaments and when he plays for us he's used to that scrutiny and responsibility and he just embraces it.
"That's something that we need to have spread out throughout the squad. We need that big game, big team mentality and (to) cope with the expectations and whatever surrounds the performance."
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies
- Man City title miracle all part of Pep’s plan
- Hertha Berlin keep Bundesliga status with play-off win at Hamburg
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season