Sean Dyche felt Burnley deserved the luck that helped them to a third win in six Premier League games.
Ashley Barnes' deflected shot in the 73rd minute, after Tom Heaton had earlier saved Dusan Tadic's penalty, earned the Clarets a 1-0 victory over Southampton.
It was enough to lift Burnley out of the relegation zone, at least until QPR play Everton on Monday.
Boss Dyche said: "You need a scratch of luck and we got that with the goal.
"It can't be said for the penalty save because I think it's an absolutely outstanding save rather than a miss, and their lad (Victor Wanyama) put one over later in the game.
"They are the margins and we've been on the wrong side of those margins at times. Overall I thought the luck that went in our favour was well deserved.
"There's a belief about what we do and I've made it clear – we didn't come into this division thinking we're going to have 500 passes a game and rip teams to shreds.
"We knew we'd have to find different ways of winning. We did that last year. We've taken that mentality into this year.
"I thought some of the football in the first half was very good, with pockets of it in the second half. That's our fifth clean sheet in 15 games, which is a marker in itself at this level."
Barnes also scored the winner against Hull and appears to have established himself as the regular strike partner for leading scorer Danny Ings.
Dyche signed the 25-year-old from Brighton in January, and he said: "He keeps going, he's an awkward customer.
"He can be clean at times, sometimes not so clean at others, but he's very awkward at this level. He's a newcomer, people won't know much about him and he sticks at it.
"His stats are through the roof and he'll give you everything."
The game looked like a good chance for Southampton to get back on track after successive defeats to three of the Premier League's big boys but it was not to be.
Manager Ronald Koeman hailed Burnley's "unbelievable spirit" but was disappointed with the penalty, saying: "It's good goalkeeping but it's a bad penalty."
Southampton had 60 per cent of the possession and 15 shots to Burnley's seven but Koeman was left frustrated that again they could not make their chances count.
"I'm very disappointed," he said. "I think it's the same story as the last few games.
"We played well. The start of the game was difficult, they started a little bit better. They played direct football, battled for the second ball, but I think after 20 minutes we controlled the game.
"We didn't create a lot in the first half but from the start of the second half until missing the penalty we played great football. We had the best chances, had total domination and I waited for the goal.
"We had good chances to kill the game at that moment and one mistake – it's our throw-in and it ended with a goal for Burnley.
"Why we didn't win today, why we didn't win against Manchester United, and why we had a run of winning games, it's all about scoring chances and more mistakes in defense.
"Maybe it's a little bit confidence now as well after the four defeats."
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family