Players representing Brazil have edged out Spaniards for the most minutes spent on the pitch during Champions League play so far this season. Brazil, who have 17 of their 23 players that were called up last month to the national team on Champions League rosters, have racked up 22,659 minutes played. Spain, on the other hand, has seen its players spend 21,933 minutes on the pitch during the prestigious European competition.
Brazil also has 12 other players on Champions League teams that have featured for the Canarinho within the last 12 months. The South American country will be represented well in the knockout phase of the Champions League, as 24 out of the 29 aforementioned players are on teams that qualified for the round of 16.
Perhaps a bit disappointing to Barclays Premier League fans is the fact that English players ranked 10th on the list with 5,940 minutes played (wedged in between the Netherlands and Russia). Despite having four teams from England in the group stage of the Champions League, there are only 20 senior-level English players combined on Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City rosters.
Arsenal and Liverpool have 14 of the 20 English players on their rosters, while Chelsea only has two players that represent England and Manchester City currently has four. With Liverpool being bounced out of the group stage, England now only has 12 players representing their country in the round of 16.
The United States was only represented by one player during the group stage of the Champions League, Anderlecht’s Sacha Kljestan. Kljestan played a total of 189 minutes during Champions League play. The American’s contribution gave his country 61st place on the list, just 38 more minutes than players represented by Madagascar.
Click the image below for a larger view.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours
- Struggling Barcelona sign 100-mn-euro digital deal
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp