Norwegian prodigy Martin Odegaard trained with Bayern Munich last week under the orders of manager Pep Guardiola, according to the German tabloid TZ.
Odegaard is arguably the most sought-after talent in world football. The 15-year-old attacking midfielder, who turns 16 next week, is being monitored by as many as 30 clubs and has already spent time training with European giants: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool.
The Norwegian international visited Munich last year as a guest of the club, but did not train with the first-team. TZ suggests the reason behind his private training session with the German champions last week was to show the Norwegian that the Bundesliga giants are the best bet to fast track his future.
Pep Guardiola reportedly requested the training session in order to show the footballing phenom how the manager communicates his philosophy to young players.
Odegaard, who is represented by his father, is reportedly looking for a club where first team football is clearly within reach. Reports emanating from Spain stated that Real Madrid were favorites to sign the youngster, but speculation is the La Liga club plan to play him with their second team – and that is not something that appeals to Norwegian international.
It is believed that the ten-time champions of Europe offered Odegaard a five-year contract last week.
The midfielder has one more year left on his deal with the Tippeligen side, Stromsgodset. Odegaard’s season ended in November with the phenom making 24 appearances, scoring five goals and recording six assists with the Norwegian side. He also made a brief cameo for the club during the qualifying stages of the Champions League.
Stromsgodset are reportedly willing to listen to offers for the 15-year-old and the midfielder could be moved during the January transfer window. Other notable clubs interested in the attacking midfielder are Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus.
Any move for the talented young player won’t happen until after the New Year. Odegaard is scheduled to take a trip to visit Ajax at that time.
Just a few days ago, Celtic midfielder Stefan Johansen told the Daily Mail that he believes the wonder kid should join him in Glasgow.
Johansen is a teammate of Odegaard’s on the Norwegian national team and stated that he is in regular contact with the phenom.
“I’ve talked a lot with Martin,” Johansen told the Mail. “We keep in touch and speak on the phone.”
“I’ve told him that Celtic can be a good choice for him. The way we play would suit him. We have the ball a lot and that’s what Martin likes. He wants to be on the ball and creating chances.”
“Martin is an amazing talent and I hope he comes to Celtic. The gaffer has shown in Norway that he is very god with young players and he gives them a chance when they deserve it. Martin knows him and myself.”
“But it is up to Martin. His father is a good guy who helps him a lot and he’s also very mature in the way he thinks. I’m sure he’ll make the right decision for his career.”
“To say that you are going to go and play at Real Madrid and compete against Ronaldo and Bale and those guys – for a 15-year-old that’s going to be difficult.”
“He would be unlikely to play right away at Real Madrid or Barcelona. Of course it would be difficult. But, as I said, he needs to choose for himself.”
On the ongoing speculation surrounding Odegaard’s future, Johansen added: “He’s been at all the big clubs in Europe and it’s probably the most insane thing I’ve seen around a 15-year-old boy.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV
- Where to find São Paulo vs. Independiente del Valle on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Nice on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Roma on US TV
- Where to find Arsenal vs. Spurs on US TV
- Arsenal vs Spurs: TV coverage details
- Premier League All-Star game reportedly still in the works
- Christopher Nkunku already completed Chelsea medical – reports
- Bundesliga adds two new statistics to broadcast, app