The 2014 MLS Cup delivered a 0.6 overnight HH US rating on ESPN, which is an increase compared to the overnight numbers for the 2013 MLS Cup.
It’s important to note that the 2013 MLS Cup was the least-watched MLS Cup ever with a 0.5 overnight HH US rating and an average viewing audience of 505,000, so while the 2014 MLS Cup TV rating saw a boost, it was from a very poor 2013 number. To put things into perspective, the 2012 MLS Cup — between LA Galaxy and Houston — had a better HH US rating (0.7) and average viewing size with an average viewing audience of 797,000.
The last time a MLS Cup had a TV rating of 1.0 or greater was in 2001.
Meanwhile, the audience viewing numbers for the 2014 MLS Cup will be released later this week.
The match between LA Galaxy and New England Revolution took on an extra note of importance as it was Landon Donovan’s farewell match before retiring. The broadcast, which began at 3pm ET on Sunday, was televised by ESPN, ESPN Deportes, UniMas and Univision Deportes. LA Galaxy won the game 2-1 in extra time.
What was the 2014 MLS Cup up against on TV? There was the Denver Broncos against Buffalo Bills on CBS and Philadelphia Eagles against Seattle Seahawks on FOX, just to name two games.
How does the 2014 MLS Cup rating compare to previous MLS Cups? Take a look at these numbers:
0.6 2014: *Los Angeles-New England (ESPN)
0.5 2013: Sporting Kansas City-Real Salt Lake (ESPN)
0.7 2012: Los Angeles-Houston (ESPN)
0.8 2011: Los Angeles-Houston (ESPN)
0.4 2010: Colorado-FC Dallas (ESPN)
0.8 2009: Real Salt Lake-Los Angeles (ESPN)
0.6 2008: Columbus-New York (ABC)
0.8 2007: Houston-New England (ABC)
0.8 2006: Houston-New England (ABC)
0.8 2005: Los Angeles-New England (ABC)
0.8 2004: D.C. United-Kansas City (ABC)
0.6 2003: San Jose-Chicago (ABC)
0.8 2002: Los Angeles-New England (ABC)
1.0 2001: San Jose-Los Angeles (ABC)
0.7 2000: Kansas City-Chicago (ABC)
0.7 1999: D.C. United-Los Angeles (ABC)
1.0 1998: Chicago-D.C. United (ABC)
1.4 1997: D.C. United-Colorado (ABC)
1.4 1996: D.C. United-Los Angeles (ABC)
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more