The polemic big match between Juventus and AS Roma was the most important clash of Serie A day six. Bianconeri took home a contentious three points, after two penalty kicks gave Massimiliano Allegri’s side and a thunderbolt strike from Leonardo Bonucci earned his side a precious victory.
After the final whistle, Roma captain Francesco Totti launched a verbal attack on the referees and Juventus. Manager Rudi Garcia, who was sent to the stands, echoed Totti’s sentiment on Twitter the following day after the match.
It wasn’t an easy weekend for the officials. AS Napoli also found a winner courtesy of controversial decisions too. Torino’s manager Giampiero Ventura was furious at the end of the match, with two credible penalty shouts not given.
In other matches, the Inter Milan crisis worsened with the Nerazzurri suffering their second straight defeat, 3-0 at the hands of Florence.
A strike by young gun Manolo Gabbiadini lifted Sampdoria to third place in the table. Despite his fine form, the forward does not feature in this week’s edition of Serie A top players, but if he continues to produce class performances then he should feature heavily throughout the season.
3. ALESSANDRO MATRI (Genoa)
The former AC Milan and Juventus striker added his third goal for the season against Parma in a 2-1 away victory. The 30-year-old is in fine touch, and despite being second striker behind Mauricio Pinilla (who has just one goal thus far, he’s beginning to stake a claim as the main man. Matri’s goal came via a poor mistake from central defender Alessandro Lucarelli and he capitalized netting a 93rd minute winner past goalkeeper Antonio Mirante. Safely in mid-table, Genoa and Matri have made a good start to the campaign.
2. KHOUMA BABACAR (Fiorentina)
When the season began Khouma Babacar was seen as the third-choice striker behind Mario Gomez and Giuseppe Rossi. Two injuries in the opening weeks has seen the youngster Babacar get his chance, and he’s taken it with aplomb. The 21-year-old Senegalese striker was on the mark against Inter Milan with a stunning goal – probably the best goal of the entire round. Babacar came back from a loan spell at Modena last season in Serie B, where he scored a total of 20 goals in 41 appearances, which was enough to convince the club to retain his services. Coach Vincenzo Montella will have no regrets whatsoever.
1. LEONARDO BONUCCI (Juventus)
Bonucci made not be the most pure of defenders at Massimiliano Allegri‘s disposal, however, the Italy international knows how to score an amazing goal. Most defenders usually find the back of the net via a header from a free-kick or a corner kick. Bonucci is an exception, who can score from long-range. Two years ago he scored a vital Champions League strike from outside the box against Shakhtar Donetsk, and he replicated that feat with a sublime volley against Roma to seal a last-gasp 3-2 victory. The Juventus fans erupted into joyous celebration, although the goal was contentious with Arturo Vidal standing in an offside position and block Giallorossi’s goalkeeper Lukasz Skorupski’s view. No one wearing black and white felt any sympathy for Roma, as Bonucci and his men claimed bragging rights and a precious three points.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Arsenal vs. Spurs on US TV
- Arsenal vs Spurs: TV coverage details
- Premier League All-Star game reportedly still in the works
- Christopher Nkunku already completed Chelsea medical – reports
- Bundesliga adds two new statistics to broadcast, app
- EPL commentator schedule: October 1-3
- American businessman reportedly in talks to buy Everton
- Alfie Haaland suggests his son could soon leave Manchester City
- How DAZN acquiring Eleven Sports affects soccer fans in USA
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV