With the likes of James Rodriguez, Antoine Griezmann, Mario Mandzukic and Toni Kroos headlining the Spanish transfer market activity, many players have been signed which have gone under the radar.
Let’s have a look at the top three under rated signings in La Liga so far this summer.
3. Guillermo Ochoa (Malaga, free transfer)
The Mexican goalkeeper was an unsigned agent going into the 2014 World Cup, having been released from French side AC Ajaccio, after his former side suffered relegation. Ochoa used the World Cup as a platform for clubs to acquire his services. The inspired shot-stopper conceded only three goals in four matches, keeping two clean sheets – one of which was against host nation Brazil. His fine tournament saw the Mexican earn his right to join Malaga. With departing custodian Willy Caballero joining Manchester City this season, the 29-year-old will have a strong chance of claiming the No. 1 position between the sticks.
2. Shkodran Mustafi (Valencia, €8 million)
The German centre-back has had a lackluster career so far, despite his immense potential. He joined joined Everton as a teenager in 2009 and was tipped to produce big things. Three years later and without any appearances for the Merseyside club the defender then found his way to Italy where he joined Serie A club Sampdoria. Finally, a break-through campaign last term saw him receive a call-up to the Germany squad for the 2014 World Cup. However, injury to his thigh against Algeria saw his tournament cut short. His rise to prominence of late was enough for Valencia to warrant signing him for €8 million. At 22, it appears a considerably small fee for a player who has only just begun to show glimpses of his worth.
1. Alfreð Finnbogason (Real Sociedad, €8 million)
Which player finished third in Europe’s Golden Boot last season? If you were to answer with Icelandic striker Alfreð Finnbogason then you would be correct. Scoring an incredible 29 goals last season saw him trail behind the likes of dynamic duo Luis Suarez and Cristiano Ronaldo. Playing his football for Dutch side SC Heerenveen for the past two seasons has seen his goal record go unnoticed – scoring a formidable 53 goals in 65 games. A move to Real Sociedad is a shrewd career choice, having earned 21 caps at the age of 25 for Iceland and taken Dutch soccer by storm. His new employers will participate in Europa League competition, which will allow Finnbogason the chance to make a real name for himself.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ