The bad news for Southampton supporters continues to pour in, as the latest report from England says Arsenal are going to complete the signing of defender Calum Chambers.
The 19-year-old has already had his medical this morning ahead of what will be a £16 million transfer.
He will be the fifth Saints player to leave the club this summer, following the departures of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren to Liverpool, and Luke Shaw to Manchester United. And Chambers could be the fifth of six departures if a deal for Morgan Schneiderlin to Arsenal or Spurs is completed soon.
Chambers will provide more cover for the Gunners at right-back, since the London club has already signed Mathieu Debuchy from Newcastle United (the France international completed his a little over a week ago for a fee believed to be around £12 million).
More than likely, the arrival of Chambers and Debuchy means 22 year-old Arsenal right-back Carl Jenkinson is likely to go out on loan in a bid for first-team football.
Speaking after his side’s friendly win over Bournemouth, new Saints boss Ronald Koeman told Sky Sports News: “I expect everything. I know the possibilities of some of the biggest clubs in England and Southampton had a great season. it’s normal they could lose some players.”
Despite yesterday’s statement from Southampton, which attempted to warn other Premier League clubs that midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin won’t be sold for any less than £27million, it looks as though Arsenal and Tottenham are both going to move forward with their pursuit of the 24-year-old.
When asked about Schneiderlin, Southampton’s manager only had this to say: “He [Schneiderlin] will start training on Saturday and then we have time enough to have a little talk.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark