Now that four of the Round of 16 World Cup match have concluded, we know which 12 teams are still in with a chance of lifting the trophy and which 4 teams are out. Chris McFarland of Share Draft has re-run the data simulations to determine who are the teams most likely to win the World Cup.
First, an update regarding how the odds are determined.
Using Elo ratings (ER), an elegant metric for calculating current strength based on weighted recent relative performance, each match’s expected outcome was plugged into a Poisson random number generator. Using weights derived from historical regression analysis and the knowledge that soccer goals per game follow a Poisson distribution, the generator churns out game outcomes. Structuring the matches into the World Cup’s schedule and storing the results for a half million simulations gives us the analysis below.
Here are the top 12 teams most likely to win the World Cup:
1. Brazil 55.63%
2. Argentina 15.81%
3. Netherlands 13.15%
4. Germany 7.46%
5. Colombia 4.64%
6. France 1.81%
7. Belgium 0.52%
8. USA 0.37%
9. Costa Rica 0.32%
10. Switzerland 0.21%
11. Nigeria 0.08%
12. Algeria 0.01%
Odds are according to Chris McFarland of Share Draft.
Read Chris’s original simulations of who will advance through the knockout stages to win the World Cup.
SEE MORE — Everything you need to know about the World Cup.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ