With USA facing Belgium on Tuesday at 4pm ET/1pm PT, here’s how Klinsmann should go about setting his team up to progress to the quarter-final stage:
1. Pressure In Midfield – The Belgium midfield isn’t anywhere near as technically adept as the German one, which means the men in the middle for the United States can put the press on a little more. Kyle Beckerman and Jermaine Jones must get tight to their opposite numbers; if they can do so, they will nick the ball back in dangerous areas and set up regular counter attacking chances.
2. Counter Attack With Better Incisiveness – There were chances against Germany for the United States to spring quickly and get in behind the defense, but they were uncharacteristically profligate with their opportunities. They’ll get similar chances against Belgium, but they must be considerably more shrewd and composed when they arise.
3. Starve Hazard Of The Ball – It’d be difficult to do a man marking job on a player like Hazard given the manner in which he drifts about the pitch, but some astute positioning in midfield can help starve him of possession. That can come from hassling his teammates passing into him, or shutting off the angles for passes into feet. If Hazard is on the periphery, the United States have a chance.
4. Target The Full-Backs – The big weakness in this Belgium team is at full-back and the United States must go at them. So whether it’s Brad Davis, Graham Zusi or Alejandro Bedoya who occupy the wide berths, they need to be very direct and unyieldingly relentless. Test them enough with sufficient quality and Vertonghen and Alderweireld are both privy to making errors.
5. Be Patient – Belgium have scored late goals in all their games, showcasing a patience in their player and intelligent utilization of substitutes. The United States must follow suit. If the match is 0-0 with ten minutes to go, Belgium will be under pressure to push forward and get the winner; that’s when the best chances could come for Klinsmann’s men.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family