Mexico defeated Croatia 3-1 in Recife on Monday in a convincing win that advances the team to the next round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Mexico captain Rafa Marquez opened the scoring with a header in the 72nd minute to give his country a huge 1-0 lead against Croatia. It was Marquez’s third goal in his World Cup playing career.
In the 75th minute, Mexico doubled the lead with a goal by Andres Guardado.
And then Chicharito finally found his goalscoring touch when he headed a goal in the 82nd minute to put the match completely out of the reach of a Croatia side, who played well in the first half.
Croatia pulled back a late goal in the 87th minute to keep the score respectable.
With the victory for Mexico, El Tri will now play Netherlands on Sunday at Noon ET on Univision and ESPN, live from Fortaleza.
Watch the highlights of Mexico’s impressive 3-1 victory:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources
- Everton succumb to injuries and lack of talent early on in season
- Where to find the MLS All-Star Game vs. Liga MX on US TV