There aren’t many duos as well known as Panini and the World Cup.
Every four years, soccer fans across the globe do all they can to complete their Panini World Cup sticker album. If it’s something you’ve never heard of, you really ought to look it up. For many people, the album borders on an obsession, which is maybe why some bandits in Brazil decided to steal a van containing 300,000 stickers back in April.
Recently, in addition to the classic sticker album, the company released Panini America’s 2014 FIFA World Cup Prizm trading card set. The set has become so wildly popular that it’s already sold out.
Far from being your everyday commemorative card series, the Prizm set incorporated a few features that make it noteworthy. First, it didn’t just feature current stars like Neymar, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, but some of the game’s all-time greats as well. Marco van Basten, Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer and others highlighted what is a glittering lineup.
But the real unique feature were the rare 100% authentic autographed cards from players. When you put it all together you get what the Panini America blog describes as “nothing less than the greatest autograph checklist in the history of soccer cards.”
The cards are currently sold out, so if you get your hands on them you know you’ve got something special. Your best bet to find them would be to check your local card collector stores or eBay.
“Our 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Prizm trading card set has been the most successful sports card release of the year and that success has a lot to do with the huge international appeal of the FIFA World Cup and the players who star in it,” said Jason Howarth, Panini America Vice President of Marketing. “It’s that same international reach that will drive the demand for the product’s partner iPhone app and Facebook game.”
Articles from our series focused on soccer trading cards and stickers:
• Soccer trading cards: Why it’s time to consider investing in the hobby
• What makes soccer trading cards valuable, and why and how to get them graded
• Collecting Panini’s Euro 2020 stickers is a perfect accompaniment to watching the tournament
Videos: Unboxing of soccer cards and stickers
• 2020/21 Obsidian soccer cards
• 2020/21 Topps Museum Collection: UEFA Champions League
• 2018/19, 2019/20 & 2020/21 Topps Bundesliga stickers
• 2020/21 Panini Prizm Premier League
• Euro 2020 Panini stickers
• Panini Chronicles box break featuring Neymar autograph
Special Introductory Offer
- Starting price: $10/mo. for Sling Orange+Blue
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & Olympics
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more