With Uruguay v England due to kick off in a few hours, we take a look at the best betting tips and strategies to profit from this game. Of course, with this being our first bwin World Cup Blogger’s League match, we want to make a winning start and hopefully have more luck than our fellow bloggers.
Our focus today is England, and we kick things off with Wayne Rooney.
Wayne Rooney as England’s best player
There’s a statistical argument to be made against Wayne Rooney in international tournaments. And there’s a good reason why betting on him to be top scorer in this World Cup is a risky proposition.
But there’s no denying that when he’s played in his preferred role, and when the team is built around him, he is quite often the best player in his team on the pitch and regularly has a role in creating and scoring goals.
Against Italy Rooney was deployed on the left flank but that game was one that England would have been thrilled to win and happy to draw – this time around, with the Uruguay game as a must-win, England need their best players in their best positions and Rooney is guaranteed to start in his preferred central role behind Sturridge.
Rooney is priced at 2.5 to score anytime in the game (a bit short in my view) but if you’re backing an England win, it’s 4.5 for Rooney to score and England to win.
The referee in charge of the Uruguay / England game – Carlos Velasco Carballo – averaged 5.96 yellow cards in 17 La Liga assignments last season, and with this being a crunch game for all-action sides, there’s a good chance this game will see more than 4 or 5 yellow cards.
more than 4.5 yellow cards: 2.2
more than 5.5 yellow cards: 3.5
We’re backing the conservative ‘more than 4.5 cards’ bet. If you’re feeling particularly lucky, betting on a yellow card being shown in the first 15 minutes is 4.75.
The two most attractive options here are Sturridge – he’s a great price at 6.00 to be first scorer as well as 5.25 to score anytime in an England win – and Suarez – At 6 and 5.75 respectively.
Either way you go, bwin’s Double and Triple Money bets are an attractive reason for betting on the first goalscorer market. Here’s how they work:
– Place a bet on the first goal-scorer. If he scores twice, bwin will double your winnings in the form of a FreeBet or
– If he scores a third goal, we will triple your winnings.
If your intuition says you know who’ll score the first goal, better put down a fiver on it just in case.
bwin World Cup Blogger’s League
We are taking part in the bwin World Cup Blogger’s League, a betting competition between top football sites, to follow our progress head to www.bwinbetting.com.
All of the odds included are sourced from bwin.com and you can find more on bwin’s World Cup offering, including Double/Treble returns, here.
For all the latest odds, tips and offers follow @bwin or visit www.facebook.com/bwin.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Benfica, Kyiv, Eindhoven and Rangers into Champions League play-offs
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?