The stakes have been raised for both the teams in todayt’s blockbuster clash between England and Uruguay at 3PM ET/12 PM PT
Where to watch –
Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)
Starting lineups –
England starting XI: Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Welbeck, Rooney, Sterling, Sturridge
Uruguay starting XI: Muslera, Caceres, Gimenez, Godin, Pereira, Gonzalez, Rios, Lodeiro, Rodriguez, Cavani and Suarez
Following their 2-1 setback on opening day against Italy, England find themselves in a precarious situation going into today’s game. A loss would see their World Cup dreams shattered, thus there is zero margin for error for The Three Lions.
The Uruguayans suffered a shock in their opener against Costa Rica as their 3-1 defeat has left them languishing at the bottom of the table. With they also facing the prospect of an early elimination, they will be desperate to make amends tonight against England.
Despite scoring just one goal, England managed to carve out 15 chances against the Italians throughout the game. That could give Roy Hodgson’s men some encouragement and belief in attack today. They could resort to a ‘shoot-on-sight’ policy again tonight, given the fact that they took 18 shots on Sirigu’s goal. The Uruguayan defense would have to put in a shift tonight to repel the English attackers and keep them at bay.
Men to watch out for –
Daniel Sturridge scored England’s goal, and looked like the most potent threat up front. With Wayne Rooney being drafted back in the hole behind him, we can expect Sturridge being supplied with more opportunities to score.
Uruguay have been lifted with the return of Sturridge’s Liverpool partner Luis Suarez, who has been declared fit and is set to start the match. His trickery and pace is something that would definitely prove to be a headache for the English defenders.
With both the teams in danger of being eliminated, we will surely see both of them go all-out in attack, and can expect a high octane contest. Goals could rain today, but I expect a draw at the end of a pulsating contest.
Uruguay 2-2 England
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours
- Struggling Barcelona sign 100-mn-euro digital deal
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp