There have been several times in my life when I’ve run across something that I didn’t even know I wanted. For example, there are artists that add monsters to thrift store paintings, turning boring into amazing. I want one of those hanging in my living room. Google searching “birds with arms” was also something I stumbled upon that I could waste hours on (If you’re googling that right now, you’re welcome). The Kampion card game fits right into this category.
I’ve been into strategy card games since I was young. Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, and most recently Munchkin, have all been staples of game nights with friends. I love the artistry that accompanies card games, and the fact that most are easy to pick up, but difficult to master. When I heard that Kampion combined card strategy with soccer, I knew I had to get into it.
Kampion is still in the very early stages of development, but what’s currently available is impressive. So impressive, in fact, that I’m encouraging you guys to go and support this effort. As of now, physical decks aren’t available, but there are PDFs available online for free at kampioncardgame.com that you can print off, cut out, and play.
You’ll immediately notice the variety of artistic styles that make up the cards. No two are alike, which adds a really cool uniqueness to the game, but also some charm to the overall project. Lourenço Ferreira, the creator of Kampion, explains that the artistic variety wasn’t as much of a choice as it was something that happened organically.
“I could not afford to pay illustrators to build this project, so I just emailed a ‘few,’ hoping they’d want to join us for some fun and for the love of football. It’s now a few months later and we have more than 150 cards. Although in the beginning it was decided out of necessity, the art style ended up being the strongest part of the project. I made a first card to set the tone, then each illustrator used his or her own style, which makes the game so unique.” said creator Lourenço Ferreira
The majority of players on the cards are recognizable. The likes of Diego Maradona, Alexi Lalas, and Luis Suarez appear, and each are rendered in a unique fashion. I really can’t say enough about the wealth of artistic styles here.
There are currently a couple of games types available and another in the works. “Traditional” mode plays by the classic top-trumps rules where a particular statistic is chosen and each player draws cards. The player who draws the card with the highest chosen statistic wins that round. Each card has eight statistics, ranging from speed to temper. The statistics are ranked from one circle to five, and in the case of a few, five and a star (which is the highest). The second game type, “Evolution,” adds a few tricky rules to the “Traditional” game type. But what really interests me is “Revolution.” Unfortunately, at the time of this writing, this game type is still being beta tested and isn’t available. It does promise a deeper game with more strategy than the first two.
If you’re reading this and finding that you too need this (and didn’t even know it) I encourage you to check out kampioncardgame.com, print off some cards, and play with your friends. If you like it, and want to help support, give these guys a follow on social media (@kampioncardgame), or join their mailing list. They’ll let you know when crowdfunding officially begins. Whether you’re a card geek, like me, or just a lover of the beautiful game, this is a really cool idea that could become a bit hit.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache