The 21st MLS team, Orlando City Soccer Club, has announced its new logo for its upcoming 2015 season where they will be participating in MLS play for the first time.
David Brotherton, a fan and graphic-designer who purchased season tickets in 2011, designed their new lion logo. Brotherton also submitted designs for a stadium and ideas for what could go alongside the new stadium in Downtown Orlando. Orlando City revealed its new logo to team employees in their new headquarters in Thorton Park.
The new logo features a golden lion on a purple background surrounded by a golden sunshine with 21 points, to represent the Lions being the 21st team in MLS. There’s also a small crown above his eye, a nod to the club’s previous championship history. Simple white text reading “Orlando City” rests below the lion, giving the new logo a clean and modern look while remaining true to more classic club logos.
Part of the deal Orlando City made in order to move up to MLS was creating a new logo, operating as a single ownership entity. MLS licenses their trademarks and rights back to the clubs. Therefore MLS required a new logo from Orlando City in order to approve the change. “I think in the future when we look back this is another one of those monumental days along the way,” said Lions’ coach Adrian Heath as told to the Orlando Sentinel.
Officials from Orlando City met with 10 local advertising agencies, searching for their perfect new logo through over 30 different concept designs before meeting with Brotherton. “It was an aha moment,” said Teresa Tatlonghari, Orlando City’s vice president of marketing.
The new club plans on revealing their logo in a unique way. After getting permission from Orlando City Council, the Lions plan on having their logo painted on seven privately owned buildings around the city of Orlando. The mural style is part of their plan to create a new identity for themselves, as well as show how Orlando City is different from other soccer clubs. Taking advantage of the unique city of Orlando and helping to gather interest from locals, the mural project is sure to gain interest. Each mural will be different. The club plans on having the logos painted by different local artists and will remain on the buildings for a month.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family