Massimo Cellino has won his appeal to become the new owner of Leeds United Football Club.
The Italian businessman, who lives in Miami, was initially denied the takeover of Leeds after The Football League turned down his attempt to buy the club. Cellino, who said that the club would go bankrupt if he wasn’t allowed to become the owner of LUFC, won his appeal.
According to a statement by Leeds United, “The approval will see Eleonora Sport take a 75% stakeholding in the club while former majority shareholders GFH Capital and investors will retain 25%.
“Completion of the acquisition will see Massimo Cellino take up the position as President of Leeds United, and he will head up a new-look board.”
The Football League had initially ruled that Cellino’s conviction in Italy for failing to pay import taxes on a yacht was a disqualifying condition under the fit and proper person test that owners must pass. However, after the appeal, Cellino has now received approval to complete the purchase of a majority stake in Leeds United.
The Football League had ruled that Cellino’s conviction in Italy for failing to pay import taxes on a yacht he purchased in the United States was ‘a disqualifying condition’ under the test directors must pass.
Cellino’s appointment as owner of the club now puts Brian McDermott’s future at the club in jeopardy as Cellino has his own ideas of who should run the club, and has criticized McDermott for spending too much time moaning and not enough time coaching.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family