The introduction of goal line technology this season has resulted in key decisions being made correctly through the use of the referee’s watch, which beeps whenever the whole of the ball crosses the goal line.
During Tuesday’s game at the KC Stadium between Hull City and Southampton, there was a goalmouth scramble where 3 shots were fired towards the net in quick succession. Jose Fonte’s shot appeared to be cleared off the line by Maynor Figueroa before Rickie Lambert eventually converted from the rebound. However, the goal decision system had awarded the goal to Fonte, as the picture shows above. There is no doubt that the goal line technology system is a superb addition to the Premier League and had there not been technology, the goal may have been chalked off, as the assistant referee would have had an impossible job in seeing the ball. The same would go for the extra officials, who are deployed behind the goal in Europa League matches.
The only answer is to use technology and I am delighted that it is being used in the World Cup in Brazil, later this year.
At Craven Cottage, Liverpool came from behind to snatch all 3 points away against Fulham on Wednesday night, but they have to thank Fulham’s German right back Sascha Riether for gifting the Reds a late penalty. Fulham had played well to take the lead twice and were looking like holding on to a valuable point, but Riether, an experienced professional, let his side down by making a needless tackle on Daniel Sturridge, who would have had to do well to find a red shirt in the box. It was a clumsy challenge that gave referee Phil Dowd no option but to award the spot kick, which was duly converted by Steven Gerrard.
Dowd had to be on his toes following an earlier tumble after Kolo Toure accidentally ran into him, much to the crowd’s delight.
Meanwhile over at The Hawthorns, Branislav Ivanovic was booked for dissent towards the officials during Chelsea‘s disappointing 1-1 draw against Pepe Mel’s West Brom. The ball went out for a throw in, which went in favor of West Brom. Ivanovic then had a rush of blood to the head and went over to the assistant and started shouting and pointing his finger at him. There are rarely yellow cards for dissent these days, but Ivanovic had to be punished for what was both dissent by word and action, fitting in with the wording in the laws of the game.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family