If Major League Soccer wants to be taken seriously, it needs to come up with a better solution than playing high-profile playoff games on fields featuring gridiron lines.
By playing games like these on fields that are prioritized for American football, it cheapens the MLS game, and makes TV viewers feel like they’re watching a second-class sport.
Tonight’s double-header of New England against Sporting Kansas, followed by Seattle-Portland were both played on fields for NFL teams.
MLS has been in business for more than 17 years. Surely by now they could have come up with a solution of how to resolve this eyesore.
The photos below show the field for New England’s home match, while the above photo is from Seattle-Portland.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more