FIFA this morning announced the playoff matches involving the eight European teams vying for a place in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
The playoff matches (home and away) are:
Portugal, led by Cristiano Ronaldo, will play Sweden, led by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, which means that only one of those two superstars will be playing at World Cup 2014.
In the other matches, France should beat Ukraine over two legs if they play as well as they did in many of their matches. Greece faces a tricky tie against Romania, but Greece should be happy that they’re getting Romania instead of some of the other teams.
Last but not least, Iceland has an excellent opportunity to qualify for the World Cup for the first time ever with their two-legs against Croatia, who have a new manager.
Which four teams do you think will advance to World Cup 2014? Post your predictions in the comments section below.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family