UEFA’s 54 member nations have given their backing to the 2022 FIFA World Cup being moved from the summer to winter, and they have admitted that the tournament cannot be played in the summer due to health reasons.
Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce said:
“What has come out of this meeting is that the World Cup cannot be played in Qatar in the summer.
“Everyone was certainly in agreement about that.”
While the members of UEFA have voiced their backing to move the date of the tournament, including England, the three organizations opposed to the move thus far are the Premier League, Australian soccer federation and FOX Sports.
Despite the opposition, it appears likely that the tournament date will be moved from June/July 2022 to November/December. The ripple effects caused by the decision, which is expected to be made official by FIFA next month, will be massive.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family