British website MCV published a fascinating article this week about how the FIFA video game franchise went from an afterthought to a global phenomenon.
The story began in 1993 when EA’s European office pushed the North American company to give them permission to create a soccer game.
According to the assistant producer who worked on the game, EA’s North American office didn’t have high hopes for the game.
“They didn’t think we were going to sell a single copy of this.
“They thought it would be a complete disaster.”
Luckily, EA gave the team permission to create the game, and the company then proceeded on a long path to create FIFA International Soccer.
When the game was released in Europe, EA expected to sell almost 300,000 copies. But the team who came up with the vision for the game thought they could sell more. Within four weeks, FIFA International Soccer sold 500,000 copies, becoming the best selling game of the year.
If you’re a fan of the FIFA video game, the article is highly recommended and quite riveting.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details