British journalist Matthew Syed has hit out at Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich by saying that the Russian “has exerted a corrosive influence on the game.”
In the discussion on Sky Sports News, Times reporter Syed doesn’t hold back as he criticizes Abramovich’s decade in charge of the club. He argues that Abramovich bought Chelsea to protect himself from “being got at” by the Russian authorities. The reporter also claims that Abramovich and the Abu Dhabi Group didn’t buy British football clubs (Chelsea and Manchester City respectively) to make profits, but that they’re exploiting them for their own political gain.
Watch the absorbing discussion below, and feel free to share your feedback in the comments below on whether you believe Syed is spot on, or if he goes overboard.
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more