Arsenal have announced that Andrey Arshavin, Denilson and Sebastien Squillaci will be leaving the club at the end of this month.
The contracts for each of the three players are set to expire on June 30, and the club has announced that they don’t plan on extending the agreements with the footballers.
Arsenal signed Arshavin for £14.5 million in 2009 after a successful Euro 2008 tournament for the Russian player who almost helped his country reach the final. Arshavin made 144 appearances for Arsenal, scoring 31 goals during his five seasons at the club. There are rumors that the Russian attacking midfielder may consider retiring from the game.
Sebastien Squillaci was signed for £5.7 million from Sevilla in 2010, but his tendencies for defensive mistakes ensured that the number of appearances he made in the last two season were very limited.
Denilson was signed by Arsenal for £4.4 million in 2006, but spent the last two seasons on loan in Brazil. The 25-year-old defensive midfielder made 153 appearances for Arsenal.
The departures of Arshavin, Denilson and Squillaci are necessary moves by the club since they were no longer first-team footballers nor on the fringes of playing. However in the case of Arshavin, the question has to be asked why the footballer wasn’t sold sooner so the club could have tried to recoup some of the £14.5 million transfer fee instead of letting him go.
What’s your opinion about Arshavin, Denilson and Squillaci leaving Arsenal? Are you surprised or disappointed by any of them leaving? Have your say in the comments section below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- Real Madrid win Champions League; Ancelotti breaks record