It’s with great sadness to report that Ron Davies, the Southampton and Wales legend, has died aged 70.
Described by Matt Busby as the best centre-forward in Europe, Davies had an incredible career in Britain where he’s best remembered for his time at Southampton. But the tall number nine also played for Manchester United, Wales, Norwich City, Portsmouth, Seattle Sounders, LA Aztecs and other teams.
In 2009, thanks to the help of one of his dear friends and a Southampton supporter, I was able to speak with Davies via telephone and conducted a very rare interview. At the time, he was reluctant to give interviews for fear of what sensationalist British tabloid journalists had written in the past. Plus, his partner had recently died, he was living in a trailer in the desert in New Mexico and he had little money. On top of that, he was dealing with medical issues. But thanks to his friend, and my word that I would treat him with the respect he deserved, the interview request was granted. Plus, I think it also helped that I’m Welsh.
In a very moving interview, Davies discussed his playing career and his fond memories of playing alongside George Best and Harry Redknapp, as well as his memories of scoring four goals against Manchester United at Old Trafford. Davies, who had the gift of being able to leap high into the air, also described the secret of his aerial success.
Between 1966-69, he scored 90 times in 123 league games for Southampton. It’s no wonder that football commentator Martin Tyler names Davies as his hero.
Davies died in Albuquerque, New Mexico on the eve of his 71st birthday. I’ll never forget the pleasure I had interviewing Ron Davies, the legend. He was so kind with his time, humble and a great man. RIP Ron Davies. Give it to Ron.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Mbappe’s PSG to play three games in Japan in July
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more
- Harmony reigns as Ancelotti and Real Madrid proves a winning combination
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns