In 30 seconds, this is everything that’s wrong with FOX Sports. Even though the TV commercial below is focused on college football, it underlines what’s broken with FOX Sports, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer. The sport should be the main focal point, not the announcer.
Titled “The Gus Johnson Effect: Everything’s more exciting,” the more appropriate title should be “The Gus Johnson Experiment: Everything that’s wrong with FOX Sports.”
No matter what sport is, if FOX Sports has to tell the story of how the announcer makes a difference between dreary days and excitement featuring some blonde chick and a unicorn, something has gone horribly wrong.
The focus of any TV ads to promote upcoming coverage should not mention the announcer as the main selling point. The same applies to the promos FOX Soccer has been running that are talking up this year’s UEFA Champions League Final “featuring Gus Johnson.” No matter if it’s Martin Tyler or Brian Moore brought back from the dead, the announcer should never ever be the main event. If it is, then there’s either something drastically wrong with the sport if it can’t sell itself.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more