It was another incredible day in the Championship today as Watford beat Leicester City to reach the Championship Playoff final.
Just two weeks ago, there was an unbelievable ending to the final day of the 2012-13 Championship season when Hull City failed to beat Cardiff, with the Tigers thinking they had lost their chance of automatic promotion. That was until Watford managed to lose against Leeds United, which meant that Hull was promoted and Watford would have to play in the Championship playoffs.
In stoppage time between Watford and Leicester this morning in the second leg of their Championship playoff semi-final, Leicester City were awarded a penalty that, if they scored, would have put them in the Championship playoff final. But Watford goalkeeper Manuel Almunia saved the penalty, and the follow-up shot, which then allowed Watford to storm up the pitch and score a 98th minute goal with the last kick of the match to send Watford through to the Championship Playoff Final.
What an incredible ending, which was very reminiscent of the final day of the League One season this year when Brentford were awarded a penalty against Doncaster. Brentford, if they had scored, would have been automatically promoted, but the London side missed the penalty that then allowed Doncaster to break on the counter and score a goal to cement promotion to the Championship.
Congratulations to Watford and manager Gianfranco Zola for managing to win the game especially after their soul-destroying defeat against Leeds United on the final day of the season.
Watford will now face the winner of Brighton against Crystal Palace in the final at Wembley on Memorial Day Weekend.
Here’s the incredible video of Watford beating Leicester City:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold