Manchester United announced today that David Moyes will be the next manager of the club, to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson after the end of this season. Moyes will officially start as the new boss on July 1 under a six-year contract.
Sir Alex Ferguson announced yesterday that he’ll retire at the end of this season after 27 years at the club, and an incredible 49 trophies in his management career.
Everton manager David Moyes has been with the Merseyside club since 2002, but his contract was up for renewal this summer, and the Scot had not signed a contract renewal. Now Moyes prepares to step into the biggest task of his career by taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson, while Fergie will remain at United in a director and ambassador role.
“When we discussed the candidates that we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on David Moyes,” said manager Sir Alex Ferguson. “David is a man of great integrity with a strong work ethic. I’ve admired his work for a long time and approached him as far back as 1998 to discuss the position of Assistant Manager here. He was a young man then at the start of his career and has since gone on to do a magnificent job at Everton. There is no question he has all the qualities we expect of a manager at this Club.”
In the club statement, here’s what Moyes said:
“It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager of Manchester United. I am delighted that Sir Alex saw fit to recommend me for the job. I have great respect for everything he has done and for the Football Club.
“I know how hard it will be to follow the best manager ever, but the opportunity to manage Manchester United isn’t something that comes around very often and I’m really looking forward to taking up the post next season.
“I have had a terrific job at Everton, with a tremendous chairman and Board of Directors and a great set of players. Between now and the end of the season, I will do everything in my power to make sure we finish as high as possible in the table.
“Everton’s fantastic fans have played a big part in making my years at Goodison so enjoyable and I thank them wholeheartedly for the support they have given me and the players. Everton will be close to me for the rest of my life.”
According to the club, Moyes will be introduced to the world as the Manager of Manchester United in due course.
- Everton confirms David Moyes will leave club at end of season
- Manchester United let slip Moyes announcement on their Facebook app
- EPL Talk Podcast Special: Sir Alex Ferguson
- Rooney may leave United, with Ronaldo to come in says reports
- Is David Moyes the right man for Manchester United? [VIDEO]
- A lesson for Manchester United: How not to replace a legend
- The legacy that David Moyes will leave behind at Everton
- 7 ways that Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement changes everything
- Sir Alex Ferguson announces his retirement from United; Statement in full
- Wayne Rooney says he wants to leave Man United for Bayern Munich
What are your opinions about David Moyes being appointed United manager? Do you think Moyes can achieve anywhere near the level of success that Ferguson achieved? And who do you think should replace Moyes at Everton? Share your opinions in the comments section below.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family