Congratulations to Wigan Athletic Football Club on reaching the FA Cup Final, their first major final in the history of the club. Hats off go to Wigan owner Dave Whelan as well as manager Roberto Martinez and his players. The achievement of going this far in the tournament should not be overlooked. This is a massive day in the history of one of the smallest clubs in the Premier League.
As long as Martinez can keep his Wigan side in the Premier League for another season, this 2012-13 season will be seen as the greatest in the club’s young history (they only joined the Football League in 1978).
And now they’re on the verge of Europa League qualification.
“[Europe] is another step on history, Wigan coming from Lancashire combination we have got to Premier and yes we will be in Europe and it will be another part of history,” said Whelan.
Wigan will qualify for the Europa League if Chelsea finish in the top four this season.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Dave Whelan says that Wigan being on the brink of Europe is another step in their history — Sky Sports
- Chelsea target Manuel Pellegrini to replace Rafael Benítez as manager this summer — Telegraph
- Real Madrid consider move for Andre Villas-Boas to replace Jose Mourinho — The Telegraph
- Millwall promise to issue life bans for FA Cup troublemakers — The Guardian
- Callum McManaman shows true side says Roberto Martinez — BBC Sport
- Manchester United seek Benfica’s Nemanja Matic to boost midfield — The Guardian
- FA denounce scenes of violence at Wembley — Sky Sports
- Brendan Rodgers believes Borussia Dortmund are the blueprint to follow — Sky Sports
- The rise and rise of Matija Nastasic, Manchester City’s rock — The Guardian
- Sunderland are close to announcing a new sponsorship partner to replace Invest in Africa — ESPN FC
- TV revenue distribution – comparing Italian and English models — Financial Fair Play
- How do you give stadiums atmosphere? — BBC World Service
- Laudrup is convinced there will be no mass exodus at Swansea City this summer — Evening Post
- Moyes says the door remains open for Phil Neville to become a member of his coaching staff — Everton
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family