Reading Football Club have sacked manager Brian McDermott with immediate effect.
McDermott’s last match in charge of Reading was their 2-1 home loss against Aston Villa this past Saturday in the relegation battle.
“Owner Anton Zingarevich wishes to place on record his thanks to Brian who had achieved great success with the club since taking over as Manager in December 2009,” said a club statement. “Brian gained promotion to the Barclays Premier League last year for only the second time in the club’s history thanks to a remarkable run at the end of last season. However, in our current situation, owner Anton Zingarevich felt that a change was necessary.”
Reading currently sits second from bottom in the Premier League on 23 points, the same number of points that Queens Park Rangers have. The club have the second worst form in the Premier League. McDermott leaves the club with a win percentage of 44.97% since joining the club in 2009.
McDermott suffered the same fate as former Southampton manager Nigel Adkins after being sacked despite bringing the club into the Premier League. In my opinion, it’s a poor decision by Reading owner Zingarevich. Reading have been disappointing in their last two performances, but manager McDermott is renowned for great finishes to the season. Plus, it’s not as if Reading are going to be able to replenish their squad with new players, so the new manager will have to to work with the players that McDermott had. Brian McDermott would have been the best person to save Reading FC this season. What manager is going to want to move in to the Reading FC slot to try to keep the club up?
What do you think? Was it wise to sack Brian McDermott? Who do you think should take his place? And do you think Reading has any hope of staying up this Premier League season?
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family