The Italian FA yesterday confirmed that Liverpool striker Fabio Borini has suffered a fractured foot. The U21 striker has been ruled out of the Azzurri’s World Cup qualifying match against Sweden today, after picking up the injury in training.
A statement issued on the Italian FA website confirmed the 21-year old had went for an MRI scan which confirmed the Scaphoid fracture.
The news will come as a blow to Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers, who has already found himself short of attacking options following the departure of Andy Carroll on a season-long loan to West Ham. Borini’s absence now leaves the Reds with just one recognized senior striker in the squad.
Borini, who arrived at Liverpool in July for a fee believed to be in the region of £11million, has scored 1 goal in 10 appearances since joining the club. He scored on his home debut in a 3-0 Europa League qualifying match victory over FC Gomel.
Aside from the side’s top scorer, Luis Suarez, Liverpool’s striking options include youngsters; Daniel Pacheco, Samed Yesil, Jerome Sinclair and Adam Morgan.
However, the progress of the likes of Raheem Sterling, Suso and Andre Wisdom, who have all broken into Brendan Rodgers’ starting lineup, is sure to send a message to other youth players looking to break into the first eleven.
Liverpool, who next face 18th-placed Reading at Anfield, currently lie in 14th place having taken 6 points from 7 games.
How much of a blow will the loss of Fabio Borini be to Liverpool? Is it a blessing in disguise, a chance for one of Liverpool’s youngsters to step up, or is this going to a huge loss to the Reds? Share your opinions in the comments section below.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family