In yesterday’s Europa League match between Tottenham and Lazio, Clint Dempsey’s goal was ruled offside. In viewing it on FoxSoccer2Go, it initially appeared to be onside. I took a screen print and then made lines across the pitch to try to see the role of the camera angle in determining whether a player is offside. As you can see, the camera angle makes a dramatic difference in the view across the pitch. Each of the lines to the right are exact layer copies of their equivalent color that mark across the players.
Unless the camera angle is exactly in line with the players in question, it is difficult — at best — to make a definitive call in a very close occurrence. This may be a good argument for not having electronic technology used to determine offside.
What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments section below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season